The duodenal switch is a bariatric procedure that modifies your stomach and small intestines. This procedure combines two separate weight-loss procedures — gastrectomy and an intestinal bypass. The gastrectomy aspect of the procedure removes a part of your stomach, and the intestinal bypass aspect of the procedure reduces the size of the intestines.
The duodenal switch reduces the amount of food your stomach can hold and the amount of nutrition absorbed by your intestine. It also reduces the hunger hormones produced by your stomach and intestine, so you don’t suffer from hunger pangs that make you overeat. This procedure is for patients with a high BMI and a history of previous bariatric surgeries.
Why is Duodenal Switch Done?
The duodenal switch is generally recommended for patients with clinically severe obesity, especially those with a high risk of obesity-related diseases, such as high blood pressure, high cholesterol, kidney disease, diabetes, and heart disease. You are generally considered a candidate for a duodenal switch if you have a BMI of 50 or more or severe forms of obesity-related diseases.
Benefits of Duodenal Switch Surgery:
- Reduces your Ghrelin levels, which decreases your hunger pangs and the desire to overeat
- Decreases the volume of your stomach, which makes you feel full faster and eat less
- Reduces the calories absorbed by your body, leading to sustained weight loss results
- Improves insulin secretion and reduces the symptoms of type 2 diabetes
- Decreases your level of bad cholesterol (LDL cholesterol)
Drawbacks of Duodenal Switch Surgery:
- Irreversible procedure that removes up to 80% of the stomach
- Inherent risks associated with removing part of the gastrointestinal tract
- Increased risk of malnutrition and dehydration because of nutrition restriction
- You must take vitamin and mineral supplements to prevent malnutrition
Ahuja Bariatric & Beyond is a state-of-the-art multi-specialty medical center specializing in laparoscopic and robot-assisted techniques for bariatric surgery. Our medical center is led by Dr. Ahuja, the first fellowship-trained surgeon to develop a comprehensive multidisciplinary weight loss surgery program in southern Illinois. He offers procedures that help you achieve and maintain optimal weight and health. Please schedule an appointment to explore your weight loss options in Mount Vernon.