Upper GI endoscopy (EGD) is a non-surgical procedure used to examine the upper digestive tract. This procedure involves inserting an endoscope (a flexible tube with a lighted camera at the end) through the mouth and throat and into the esophagus, thus allowing the doctor to visualize the stomach and the upper intestine. This procedure can diagnose numerous digestive problems and retrieve biopsies to determine if you have non-cancerous or cancerous growths.
Upper GI endoscopy is the most effective means of evaluating the health of the upper digestive tract. It allows the surgeon to diagnose the root cause of abdominal pain and cramps, nausea/vomiting, upper gastrointestinal bleeding, problems swallowing, and other problems. The endoscope allows the surgeon to visualize the duodenum, stomach, and esophagus, which allows them to identify abnormalities, precancerous growths, and the potential signs of cancer.
Reasons for Upper GI Endoscopy:
- Diagnose and treat conditions related to the upper gastrointestinal tract
- Diagnose the root cause of persistent heartburns, bleeding, problems swallowing, nausea, vomiting, abdominal pain, and unexplained weight loss
- Identify underlying conditions, such as celiac disease, narrowing esophagus, precancerous abnormalities, inflammation, ulcers, gastroesophageal reflux disease, and cancer
- Retrieve biopsies to test tissues and growths for celiac disease, gastritis, and cancer
- Remove polyps and other growths to prevent cancer
Recovery After Upper GI Endoscopy
You might feel bloated and experience some abdominal cramping because of the air introduced into your stomach. Endoscopy is an extremely safe, non-surgical procedure, so there are no harsh side effects or complications. You should avoid work and strenuous workouts for the rest of the day, but you can resume most of your daily activities the next day. If a biopsy is taken, you should receive the results within 96 hours.
Ahuja Bariatric & Beyond is a state-of-the-art medical center led by Dr. Naresh Ahuja, the first fellowship-trained surgeon to develop a comprehensive multidisciplinary weight loss surgery program in southern Illinois. Dr. Ahuja takes a proactive approach to help you remain healthy and cancer-free. He also ensures your upper GI endoscopy is painless and comfortable. Please schedule an appointment to learn more about upper GI endoscopy in Mount Vernon.