SADI stands for Single Anastomosis Duodeno-Ileo Bypass, and SIPS stands for Stomach Intestinal Pylorus Sparing Surgery. SADI and SIPS are interchangeable terms for the same bariatric procedure for weight loss. This procedure combines two of the most effective components of weight loss — restriction and malabsorption.
The SADI/SIPS is a weight loss surgery in Herrin and Mount Vernon procedure reduces the size of the stomach and allows food to bypass most of the intestine. Reducing the size of the stomach allows you to feel satisfied after eating less food, and bypassing the intestine leads to minimal absorption of nutrients and calories. SADI/SIPS can help you lose 70-75% excess body weight.
Benefits of SADI/SIPS:
- Ensures 70-75% reduction in excess body weight, which is a greater average of weight loss surgery in Herrin and Mount Vernon than other bariatric procedures, such as the sleeve gastrectomy and gastric bypass.
- Minimizes the symptoms of dumping syndrome, a common side-effect of a gastric bypass that leads to severe abdominal pains and diarrhea when you consume high-calorie foods.
- Minimizes the risk of anastomotic ulceration and internal hernia.
- Suitable second-stage bariatric procedure for patients seeking to enhance the results of a primary sleeve gastrectomy procedure.
- Reduces your stomach size, so you feel full and satisfied after eating less food.
- Minimizes the calories absorbed from each meal, which sustains the effects of weight loss.
- Reduces the secretion of the hormone Ghrelin, which dramatically reduces hunger pangs and prevents you from overeating.
Drawbacks of SADI/SIPS:
- Leads to malabsorption of vitamins and nutrients, which can lead to malnutrition.
- You must take oral supplements of vitamins and minerals to prevent malnutrition.
- Increases the frequency of bowel movements because of a shorted intestine. Most patients experience twice or thrice as many bowel movements as they did earlier.
- Fairly new procedure with limited long-term clinical data and evidence.
Ahuja Bariatric & Beyond is a state-of-the-art medical center specializing in bariatric surgery, abdominoplasty, general surgery, and medical spa treatments. We offer personalized bariatric surgeries using the latest laparoscopic and robot-assisted techniques to ensure optimal precision with minimal complications. If you want to achieve and maintain your weight loss goals, please schedule an appointment with Dr. Ahuja in Mount Vernon.